Photobucket                                               PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday Travels – Grand Canyon, AZ

 

A few months ago, the Mister and I were planning on going out to Wisconsin to visit our good friends Peter and Olena. The original plan was to surprise Olena for her birthday, because she’s been looking forward to us visiting them in their home.

A few weeks ago, while the two Misters talked the idea of meeting up in the Grand Canyon came up. When Donald texted me this idea, I didn’t read it all the way through and thought he said Grand Cayman and readily agreed thinking of all the diving we’d be doing. And as I looked up prices for airfare, I realized that Grand Cayman wouldn’t happen in that short of a timeframe, so I texted my hubby back with a sad face. This is when the issue was cleared up and it was decided that we would try and visit Grand Canyon (the one in the USA) for the weekend of Olena’s birthday (August 4th through the 10th).

We would of course drive there, in our pretty little Camaro, and I wish we had waited six months so we could have had the convertible, however, our SS will have no problem getting us down to Arizona in style.

The ss 

The trip would be an easy 12.5 hour drive. Not to bad when you think we’ve done almost 20 hours straight.

image

The drive from our front door to the Grand Canyon is about 670 miles, depending on what route we take.

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ: Morning at the Canyon

Isn’t this just beautiful?!

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ: a view of the canyon

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ: The Grand Canyon

all pics via

We are still trying to find a place to stay. The decision is a tricky one because we are looking at both condos and hotels. Trying to find the best deal takes a bit of time, but hopefully we will have a decision made.

I cannot wait for this trip. I love traveling with friends, especially Peter and Olena. Pete has traveled the world while he was in the Air Force and knows so much history, so everywhere we go is filled with fantastic historical stories as well as funny personal ones. There is never a dull moment with these two!

The next post will include more details on our travel plans, the places we will see and hopefully where we will be staying.

Have you been to the Grand Canyon?

What would you recommend doing? The must sees and dos?

Places to eat? Places to avoid?!

Neither the Mister nor I have been to Arizona (other then driving or flying through) so we haven’t seen much. I know we will be stopping at an In-N-Out for some burgers!!!

2 comments:

  1. I was at the grand canyon about 7 years ago, so it's been a while, but it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've been, but I don't remember. In-N-Out opened in Dallas last week and it's been crazy. I won't even attempt to go there right now because I'm not waiting 2 hours for fast food! Don't get me wrong, i can't wait to try it. Just not patient enough for all that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!!! Leave comments, questions or suggestions! They make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...